Best tips for preventing Ransomware
WannaCry ransomware attacked hundred of thousand of computers in nearly 100 countries on the last Friday, which turns the Friday into the black Friday, in which 200,000 systems around the world were affected in this attack, including INDIA. This was also seen in 2011 In Russian and by 2013 it was well established in the USA. However, this WannaCry attack is going to be world’s biggest cyber attack in the history, developed by a security research called “Malware Tech”.
What is Ransomware?
It is a program that executes in your computer, either by clicking on the wrong thing or downloading the wrong thing, and afterward it grabs something you need to ransom.
What is WannaCry?
WannaCry is a form of “ransomware” that locks up the files on your computer and encrypts them in a way that you cannot access them any longer, also renowned as WanaCrypt0r 2.0, WannaCry and WCry. In the matter of WannaCry, the program encrypts your files and asks for payment in bitcoin in order to regain access. However, experts warn that there is no any assurance to regain access after payment.
Including UK, USA, Russia, Spain, Germany, France, India, 100+ small to large economy countries are under the massive WannaCry attack. This situation is unfolding right now somewhere in the world, maybe in your city, neighborhood or organization..!
At this moment, preventing your system from the Ransomware is the wisest move. Here, we have mentioned top 10 tips for preventing ransomware.
- Ensure that you backup your most important filed frequently and also suggested that you create two backup copies, in which one to be stored in the cloud and the other recorded to a storage device like hard drive, laptop, thumb drive, etc. On the completion of the backup copy, ensure you set up certain restriction for the files, for an example: your device should restrict for the editing, so as no one can modify or delete the field and the backup copy could save you in any circumstances.
- Keep checking that your backup copy is alright on the frequent basis as there are possibilities that an accidental failure can inflict damage to your files.
- The Cyber criminal tends to distribute fake email messages and email notifications from an online store or a bank, attract user to click on a malicious link and hence distribute malware, such a method called phishing. By heeding same, fine tune your anitspam settings and ever open attachments sent by an unidentified sender.
- In this matter, we strictly recommend for trust no one. Malicious links can be sent by your friends on social media, your colleague or online gaming partner whose accounts have been compromised in one way or another.
- Activate ‘show file extension’ alternative in the windows setting. It will facilitate to distinguish potentially malicious files. On the other side, as Trojans are programs, you must stay away from file extensions, including “exe”, “vbs” and “scr”. Further, it is also recommended to stay away from malicious file as video, photo or a document like hot-chics.avi.exe or doc.scr.
- Follow regular update regime for operating system, antivirus, browser, and other similar programs. Offenders are inclined to exploit vulnerabilities in software to compromise systems.
- Select robust antivirus program to protect your system from ransomware. There are several top rate internet security potent to prevent viruses from getting into your computer or capable to protect significant files using its special features.
- On detecting rogue or unidentified process on your machine, cut off the internet connection immediately. If the ransomware did not manage to wipe away the encryption key from your computer, there are still possibilities you can restore the files.
- If you are unlucky to have filed encrypted, it is strictly recommended to not pay the ransom, unless the instant access to some of your files is important. In fact, each payment fuels this unlawful business which would flourish as long as you pay money.
- If your system has been infected by ransomware, you should make an effort to find out the name of the malware: maybe it’s older version and it is relatively simple to restore the files as it used to be less advanced in the past. Further, the police and cyber security proficient supports to detain the adversaries and provide file restoration tools online. Some people have a chance to decrypt their files without having to pay the ransom, so better contact experts rather pay such offenders.